Monday, December 04, 2006

update II

light & fluffy personals
* My nephew, a firefighter, is volunteering to pose for next year's (2008) Fire Service's 'beefcake' calendar. I support the service (and my nep) to the max. But the thought of my own family member as a 'sex object' sits very queasily with me. Yecch & Ewww! Don't know how relatives of adult-movie stars cope.

* Acquired the "LOST" series 2 DVDs and been giving them a good thrashing. A miracle of magical movie-making. A great masterwork whose artistic excellence ranks with Beethoven's tunes or that church that Michelangelo painted (IMH-and admittedly disputable-O). Still in love with Michelle Rodriguez.

* Finally saw part 2 of The Matrix series - on TV that is, would never rent anything
made by Bush-bashers. Dismal plot, characters & storytelling, but spectacular fight scenes. Outside the Jackie Chan genre, I haven't seen such superbly choreographed dance action sequences since series one of Dark Angel.

* Am falling under the spell of Edouard Manet. Have always (personally) thought the era of Really Great Painting began with Van Gogh & ended with Picasso. (Francis Bacon was painting's last dying gasp before Jackson Pollock murdered it completely). But Manet's more than just a misty, smudgy impressionist. He's truly a subversive, and a pivotal figure in the history of art weirdness.

* Have been downloading, or rather 'viewing' lots of music vids on YouTube (which take forever to load on dial-up). I didn't pay for them. Does this make me a thief?

* I read a whole book just recently - something I've not done in ages. Amazing, after a long continuous diet of news articles and blog posts, how shortened my attention span has become. Mental fitness, like physical health, requires constant exercise to keep in top gear.

No comments: